Tuesday, May 28, 2013

T minus 2

Happy Memorial Day!!  This has always been a special holiday for us. My Dad and my Uncles were all WWII veterans, sadly Regina's Dad didn't make it home from Vietman, my part was flying USAF air refueling tankers and my B-I-L Rob is a retired Army LTC.  Our thanks to all who have served and sacrificed.

We started the day with breakfast at LA Pines. Guy Fieri featured this jewel on one of his Triple D shows.  Of the diners, drive- ins and dives this one was in the dive catageory, but oh my was the food fabulous!  I had a prime rib omelet and Regina got chicken fried chicken. Only in the South can you do things like this. Somehow we survived the heart attack meals which taste sooooo good.

From breakfast, it was a search for light bulbs and a flag. Of course on a boat, nothing is a normal size so the next 2 hours were blown on the search. Home Depot had the light bulbs hidden in the gardening department - apparently you are supposed to use them for landscape lighting. West Marine  was the only place that we could find a 2' x 3' flag to fit our flagpole so we got one and have it flying proudly.

The rest of the afternoon was spent cleaning and feeding the turtles. We have seen probably 6 of the turtles swimming around near the boat. I think they live somewhere under the dock and come out to eat and sun. Fun to watch them tool around in the water.  They really enjoyed our left over biscuits from breakfast.

Today was the first time I washed the boat. Now I've helped Tom wash his boat a bunch of times and now I understand why he is always so happy when I'm there to do some of the work!  It was a warm day in Slidell so maybe this will help me drop a few lbs.  Lord knows I was sweating like a heifer while scrubbing the deck and cleaning the helm.  After a few times doing this, I'm hoping I learn a few tricks to make it a little easier.

Tomorrow is fueling day. Trying to get a truck to come top us off, but if that doesn't work out we'll have to go to the fuel dock nearby. It's on the other side of a little draw bridge that separates us from the Bayou that leads to Lake Pontchartrain so maybe we should move over there anyway. When we leave Wednesday morning, the goal is to get to Dog River Marina on Mobile Bay to complete day 1 of the trip. The weather looks good right now so let's hope for no changes.




No comments:

Post a Comment